Monday, April 23, 2007

3/10 of the way there....

So it's the start of the 4th week of the term. 3 down. 7 to go. Spring term is flying by though. I mean, fall term seems to last forever, with new students week, getting the hang of the whole "college life," and getting accustomed to Philly. Now, it's hard to believe summer is almost here! But I won't be going home like most people will for their freshman summer-- I'll be in Philly working for Drexel performing research through the Honors college. And hopefully I'll be in admissions too meeting you guys at orientation! I'm actually really excited to be staying in Philly for the summer-- at first when I heard I would be in class during the summer after my freshman year, I was kind of skeptic about how much I would actually enjoy being here. But now, I'm choosing to be here. What can I say, I love Philly and don't want to leave : ) Although, I am going through the whole "missing mom" phase. At first I was so ready to get out and I really enjoyed the independence of college life. It's taken me two terms to realize that I'll never be living with my parents again-- this is it-- this is life. So my advice to you, as lame as it may be, is to enjoy this last summer with your parents, because unless you plan on moving back in after you graduate from college, this is the last opportunity you have to appreciate them fully. I wish I had realized this last summer, but I suppose we all learn to appreciate our parents at some point.

Ok I swear I'm done with the sad "love your parents" story. So back to Drexel.

I had my first RA staff meeting last night. In case any of you are planning on living in honors housing next fall, I am actually an RA in that building (so let me know who you are!). Race street dorms are ridiculously nice. I mean, they're the newest dorm on campus, so of course they're going to be high tech, but I wasn't expecting it to have it's own gym, reading lounges, SWEET kitchens, and an INCREDIBLE view. Philly is quite nice 11 stories up. Now for those of you not in honors housing, don't be too sad. The other dorms have their perks too. Kelly for instance is currently being gutted and redone, so it will be really really nice for the fall. Kelly also had Kelly Deli, which is basically Drexel's version of 7-11, and you use your meal plan dollars to buy stuff. They have everything from quesadillas to burgers to ben and jerrys to chips and salsa. If you're not a resident of Kelly you can still use the deli, but it's just nice to be living above it : ) Now Meyers is sweet for all you design kids-- Meyers has what is called learning communities, which are groups of people of a specific major living together. These are really nice for study groups, homework, and networking. The people you live with are the people you're going to class with, so you all have the same work. There is also the Business LC in Meyers, but the rest are basically CoMAD students. The top floor is really nice for you music industry majors-- there is a loft above your dressers and door where you can store a piano, drums, or amps, or whatever else you may wish to bring. Moving on, Towers is also a pretty cool dorm. It's the largest freshman dorm on campus, so it's where a lot of your friends will be living. Towers is essentially the dorm for the social butterflies-- everyone leaves their doors open, study in the lounges, pull all nighters together, and just like to have a good time. Honestly, you've got to be able to handle noise to live in Towers-- I'm one of those who have to have complete silence to study efficiently, so I would have done so horrible academically in Towers. However, tons of my friends live there, so when I'm visiting them, I still get to partake in the unique social atmosphere of Towers. There's also Calhoun, which is pretty notorious for it's design. It's shaped like a crescent. Go architects. But Calhoun has a similar atmosphere to Towers, it's just smaller. Lastly there's Van R, which is suite style living for non-honors freshmen. Honestly, Van R's rooms are really small-- you HAVE to loft your bed to get everything in, but you also get a common room, your own bathroom, and a kitchen, so you have to decide what's more important to you-- sleeping space or having the perks of an apartment.

But remember, no matter what dorm you choose, if for some reason you can't stand it or just aren't happy there, the first 2 weeks of every term you can move, no questions asked. I was actually a participant of the room-change during winter term. I wasn't happy with my suite-- personality/ respect differences, so I moved out into another suite. Very easy transition and I'm glad I got the opportunity to move.

SO that's all for now, I'm sure I've said more than enough, but if you guys have any questions about dorms or drexel or anything, IM me or email me!

No comments: